Veteran’s Aid + Attendance Planning

We represent veterans and their dependents (e.g. spouses, dependent children) when they cannot afford an attorney.  We strive to help veterans and their families attain the maximum degree of independence, stability and financial well-being.  We focus our estate planning services on the following areas:

  • wills
  • health care proxies
  • durable powers of attorney
  • funeral/memorial advance directives
  • living wills/medical directives
  • special needs trusts
  • guardianships and conservatorships
  • VA Fiduciary matters

You may be eligible if:

  • you were discharged from service under other than dishonorable conditions, AND
  • you served 90 days or more of active duty with at least 1 day during a period of war time*, AND
  • your countable family income is below a yearly limit set by law, AND
  • you are permanently and totally disabled, OR
  • you are age 65 or older.

*Note:  Anyone who enlists after September 7, 1980, generally must have served at least 24 months or the full period for which called or ordered to active duty. Service from August 2, 1990 to present is considered to be a period of war (Gulf War) in addition to other periods of war such as World War II, Korea, and Vietnam.

How Much Does VA Pay?

The VA will pay as much as $2,000+ per month or $26,000+ per year for a Married Veteran and up to $1,200+ per month or $14,000+ per year for the surviving Spouse of a Veteran who needs the aid and attendance of another. The benefit amount is dependent upon an asset and income test and the amount of unreimbursed medical expenses the Veteran or spouse may have. The benefit is paid in 12 equal monthly payments rounded down to the nearest dollar.

How Do I Qualify?

To qualify medically, a War-Time Veteran or surviving spouse must need the assistance of another person to perform daily tasks, such as eating, dressing, undressing, taking care of the needs of nature, etc. Being blind or in a nursing home for mental or physical incapacity, or residing in an assisted living facility also qualifies.

Eligibility must be proven by filing the proper Veterans Application for Pension or Compensation. This application will require a copy of DD-214 or separation papers, Medical Evaluation from a physician, current medical issues, net worth limitations, and net income, along with out-of-pocket Medical Expenses.

What Is A Veterans Asset Protection Trust?

Veterans Asset Protection Trust (VAPT) can serve a valuable role when trying to divest a claimant of assets in order to qualify for pension benefits. These trusts can make the difference between a Veteran or Surviving Spouse getting the care they need while preserving their assets, rather than them spending all of their money just to get the care they need.

Some Advantages of Veteran’s Asset Protection Trust Include:

  • The trust can hold your assets and residence;
  • The assets and home in the trust will not disqualify you from VA benefits;
  • The trust can sell your assets and/ or residence and keep the proceeds;
  • The proceeds will not disqualify you for VA benefits or Medicaid during your lifetime;
  • The proceeds from the sale of the residence will not be subject to estate recovery by Medicaid;
  • The trustee can sell the residence with the grantor (you) still being able to take advantage of Internal Revenue Code § 121 – capital gain exemption (up to $500,000 for married joint filing and $250,000 single); and
  • At the death of the grantor, the trust assets will receive a stepped-up basis for income tax purposes.

Am I Eligible for Veteran’s Aid & Attendance Pension?

Contact The Stan Miller Law Group for a FREE consultation and one of our VA accredited attorneys will help you. Let one of our attorneys guide you through the eligibility process so you can qualify for this very important VA benefit.

Schedule your FREE 20 minute Discovery Call

Learn about the many ways we can help you.


We Are Trusted By: